Erin Barringer-Sterner Hiring
Management ·Planned Parenthood Federation of America ·
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seek a dynamic and collaborative Director, Database Administration. This job reports to the Senior Director, Data Strategy & Analytics in the Data Strategy, Analytics, and Governance (DSAG) department at PPFA. The DSAG team enables data-driven decision making through high quality data, analysis, and tools.
The Director, Database Administration contributes to Planned Parenthood’s mission by designing, implementing, and managing databases and data sources that drive actionable data insights for Planned Parenthood’s national office and affiliate stakeholders. As a member of PPFA’s DSAG team, the Director will develop new data collection tools and processes, such as ETL and database connections. They will evaluate and improve existing tools and processes, driven by feedback from partners and stakeholders. The Director will also be responsible for the back-end administration of a large enterprise instance of Tableau Server
The Director role supports a broad portfolio of data-related programs/projects, and works closely with members of the DSAG team. They will establish strong relationships with partners, and provide exemplary customer service by understanding stakeholder needs and developing targeted, sustainable data solutions. As a systems thinker, the Database Administrator will be able to understand, create, and improve interdependent processes that relate to data.
- Design, develop, and maintain databases, data sources, and database objects such as queries, stored procedures, functions, packages, triggers, views, and jobs; ensure stability, reliability, and performance
- Collaborate with analysts on design of complex reports/data sources; develop and deploy queries, extracts, and data sources that allow for scalability
- Design, develop, and maintain ETL processes/queries, including fact and dimension tables, to build and populate a data warehouse in alignment with industry best practices
- Manage back-end administration of a large enterprise instance of Tableau Server, including configuration using Tableau Services Manager (TSM) and the command line, upgrades, and SAML SSO integrations (Okta)
- Establish internal processes to drive consistency across data, such as establishing and managing fact tables and ‘single sources of truth’
- Document data products and systems, including including policies, procedures, workflow diagrams, data dictionaries, data maps, data transformations, and data taxonomies where applicable, develop user-facing guides (written and video)
- Ensure data security across all data stores including identification and protection of personal health information (PHI) and personally identifiable information (PII) in alignment with PPFA’s information security standards
- Advise analysts and report developers on the most efficient data source/database designs (tables, data types, stored procedures, functions, etc.).
- Peer-review code from other team members and approve/maintain code in a versioned code repository
- Troubleshoot issues and resolve end-user reporting problems through collaboration between functional teams; be available outside of normal business hours to perform troubleshooting, maintenance, or upgrades as required
- Participate in quality assurance (QA) processes to ensure DSAG’s data products are high quality; support ongoing data cleansing by implementing automated data checking, monitoring, and reporting
- Perform installations, backups, restores, configuration, patching, tuning, and monitoring of databases and tools
- Effectively manage program/project files (organize, archive) in alignment with DSAG’s knowledge management practices
- Demonstrate intercultural competence and ensure all work products consider the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including communities of color and individuals with different gender identities and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Pursue relevant proficiencies/certifications where determined by business needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
The Director, Database Administration supports a broad portfolio of data-related programs/projects, and the role requires strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for helping others collect and manage data. The Director will consult regularly with team-members and end-users at the PPFA National Office and Planned Parenthood affiliates to develop targeted data solutions that inform operational and strategic decision-making. This role will also provide ongoing technical support and education on data tools and best practices.
This role requires a keen ability and desire to communicate and work productively within a team. Due to the consultative nature of the role, the Director must have exemplary customer service skills, a positive “can do” attitude, and a demonstrated track record directly helping people design and implement data products and systems. The Director will have familiarity and experience working with the population Planned Parenthood serves, including people of different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, people with different gender identities and individuals with disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- At least 7 years of experience in database administration in Microsoft SQL Server environments required; experience with healthcare data/databases highly preferred
- Expert technical proficiency in SQL and T-SQL required, including experience writing code with:
- Developing database objects (tables, views, and stored procedures)
- Microsoft SQL Server and Management Studio (SSMS) and Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Experience developing and managing ETL processes, including design of dimension/fact tables and use of ETL tools such as Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services, required
- Strong analytic techniques, including ability to perform query tuning and optimize large complicated SQL statements, required
- Experience building/maintaining and working with data warehouses, including inbound/outbound queries and processes, required
- Direct experience with Tableau Server administration/governance, including developing and publishing Tableau data sources from various data connectors, required
- Tableau Server administrator certification, or willingness to become certified within three months of date of hire, required
- Experience developing written technical documentation required
- Experience with healthcare data/databases, including writing complex SQL queries using electronic health records (EHR) reporting databases (NextGen, Epic Clarity/Caboodle, Athena, eCW), highly preferred
- Certification in Microsoft SQL Server database administration (MCSA/MCSE or comparable Azure certification) highly preferred
- Technical proficiency with Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep (data cleansing, transformation) highly preferred
- Proficiency with G-Suite and Microsoft Office, including advanced Microsoft Excel skills, required; experience with Asana or similar project management tool strongly preferred
- Experience in examining data to consider the impacts on multiple communities, including communities of color, preferred
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills with keen attention to detail and grammar (English fluency) required; ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments required
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with different gender identities, cultural differences and disabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems/technology, data management, or related field required; combination of professional experience and skills may be considered in lieu of formal/traditional education
0-25% (domestic) This is a full-time telecommute position. If the successful candidate lives within the NYC metropolitan area, they will have the option to work from our NYC office. Starting Salary: 110k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer