Ketan Anjaria Hiring
Founder ·HireClub ·
Join the Media Platform for the Global Development Community
You: an entrepreneurial business leader who wants to make a difference in the world by driving a new phase of growth for the media platform for the global development community.
Us: a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world through our audience of one million aid workers and development professionals. An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona and Manila and reporters around the world.
Our diverse global team includes 100 digitally-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time, and professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, and the Gates Foundation rely on us to be in-the-know.
If you’re eager to bring your finance and operations skills to one of the most exciting media platforms in the world, we’d love to get to know you better. You will have an opportunity to grow and learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an innovative culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun). Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.
Why this position is great for you:
- Bring your financial analysis, business smarts, and operational leadership skills to bear in a highly responsible executive position - essentially the CFO of Devex
- Be in the midst of the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- Help build a global organization that already has three offices and 125 full time staff
- We’re a young, dynamic company that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- There’s no bureaucracy here. You’ll get to own your work and collaborate directly with the Devex President and other top leadership.
- International travel opportunities to our overseas offices and beyond.
- Want to get ahead? You’ll get to build your career by growing Devex.
What we need from you:
The main responsibilities of the Director of Finance and Operations is…
- Own financial analysis, budgeting, modeling, and pricing as a key leader for our overall business strategy
- Help grow our business by advising and supporting sales, marketing, and product efforts with data and insights
- Lead approximately 10 existing direct and indirect reports and several more we plan to hire
Additional leadership responsibilities include:
Direct our existing, robust corporate accounting team responsible for financial reporting, bookkeeping and collections Develop our most important asset - our talent - by taking leadership responsibility for existing internal recruitment and talent management efforts Lead global facilities management, compliance, HR/payroll/benefits administration, legal, and tax working with existing internal and external resources
To fit well in this role you must be business-minded and entrepreneurial, ready to roll-up your sleeves and tackle challenges in a collaborative atmosphere. And - this really matters - you need the leadership skills that attract colleagues to want to work with you. You also must have…
- At least 7-10 years of experience in business and finance
- Significant experience with online media business, including subscriptions and advertising
- Superpowers with a spreadsheet
- The ability to read a balance sheet and P&L statement in your sleep
- Management and operational experience
- A global mindset and a strong drive to be part of a social enterprise
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field (Business, Finance etc)
- An MBA or similar degree from a top program
- Experience in a startup environment
- You haven’t just heard of the World Bank and the Gates Foundation; you actually know what they do and how they work
This position is located in Washington, DC, although we would consider alternative locations for the exceptional candidates. Pre-existing work authorization required.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.