What We Do: Alluma is a non-profit on a bold mission: to remove the barriers between people and the services and support that matter most. We are policy experts and technologists, determined leaders and compassionate innovators, united by our desire to do whatever it takes to solve complex problems in access to health and social services. We create technology solutions that put people first. We have recently joined forces with One Degree to create equitable, accessible public benefits and social safety net systems that take advantage of all that technology has to offer. This role operates within One Degree which is a modern tech-driven solution within Alluma that has helped more than half a million families and their supporters find, access, and share social services efficiently and with dignity in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Gainesville, FL and New York City.
** How We Work:** Alluma employees dig deep into how our community works and the challenges they face, so we can streamline complicated processes and design smart solutions that work better for everyone. At Alluma, every employee has a role in ensuring that nobody falls through the cracks. We put people and their unique needs at the center of what we do. Each individual we work with is different, and each community they identify with unique, so our technology must flex to each opportunity.
*We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply for this role, even if your skills do not perfectly match the requirements below. We are a low-ego, humble group of people that love what we do and work every day to bring out the best in each other. *
Position: We have a very efficient product development team and we get stuff done. As a Software Developer at Alluma, you will work on One Degree platform to** build and maintain products that help tens of thousands of low-income families find the resources they need to overcome poverty.** The position can be remote as long as your core hours match with the rest of the production development that works in the Pacific time zone.
Essential Functions & Summary of Responsibilities:
- Develop and improve products and features that directly help low-income and at-risk families
- You will be involved in all phases of software development life cycle: Analyzing business/system requirements or use stories, providing estimates, designing solutions, developing/coding new features or changes to existing features, unit testing, fixing bugs/defects, and providing second-level operational support as needed.
- Be the expert in one or more critical solution modules, and provide technical direction to other software developers. This may take the form of architecture/design direction, and in some cases solving critical technical problems with innovative solutions.
- Engage in root cause analysis of complex issues to identify source of defects, and resolve said defects (problem-solving)
- Coordinate with other developers to accomplish complex projects
- Participate in design discussions and help others through code reviews and knowledge sharing
- Track and communicate status on work
- Produce clear technical documentation as needed in support of complex technical concepts
- Other duties as assigned
** Qualifications Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):**
- At least 3 years of experience as a software developer, maintaining products for real users
- Experience with Rails and Angular/React, or similar web frameworks
- Experience with or an interest in learning iOS/Swift and Android/Java/Kotlin development
- Experience identifying and addressing performance and scaling issues in web products
- Experience using Git
- Experience and an appreciation for writing tests
- Working knowledge of SQL, MongoDB, Solr or similar
- Experience or an interest in managing servers directly (e.g. AWS EC2) and through SAAS vendors (e.g. Heroku)
- Experience or an interest in working with Docker/microservices.
** Education/Training Requirements:**
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent experience in a related field.
** Alluma is an Equal Opportunity Employer.**
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Alluma also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Alluma.
One Degree believes that everyone has the right to express their identity in however manner they choose, including the use of whatever pronouns they would like. Job applicants may, but are not expected to, provide their pronouns at any point in the hiring process by notifying the hiring manager or any other employee with whom they are in contact, over the phone, over email, or in person. We believe in maintaining a welcoming and inclusive workplace. Every employee, volunteer, contractor, community member, and job applicant may discuss their gender identity or expression openly, or keep that information private.