Location: Remote or San Francisco Bay Area
What We Do:
Alluma is a non-profit on a bold mission: to remove the barriers between people and the services and support that matter most. We believe that applying for benefits — and finding the food, shelter, or health services you need — should be quick, simple, and dignified. Our diverse team is made up of policy experts, technologists, determined leaders, and compassionate innovators, united by our desire to do whatever it takes to solve complex problems in connecting people to health and social services. We create technology solutions that empower people and put them first.
How We Work:
Alluma employees dig deep to understand the challenges that communities face and how social service and health care professionals and organizations work to address those challenges. With that understanding we dig into how our clients work and the challenges faced by the people they serve, so we can streamline complicated processes and design smart solutions that work better for everyone. At Alluma, everyone has a role in ensuring that nobody falls through the cracks. We put people and their unique needs at the center of what we do. Each client and each community that we work with is unique and different, so our technology solutions must flex to each opportunity.
Alluma is fully committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We know through experience that people with wide-ranging ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds foster a stronger and more creative work environment. We encourage everyone to apply.
We have a very efficient product development team and we get stuff done. As a Software Developer at Alluma, you will work on the One Degree platform to build and maintain products that help tens of thousands of low-income families find the resources they need to overcome poverty. The position can be remote as long as your core hours match with the rest of the product development that works in the Pacific time zone.
Essential Functions & Summary of Responsibilities:
- Develop and improve products and features that directly help low-income and at-risk families
- You will be involved in all phases of the software development life cycle: Analyzing business/system requirements or use stories, providing estimates, designing solutions, developing/coding new features or changes to existing features, unit testing, fixing bugs/defects, and providing second-level operational support as needed.
- Be the expert in one or more critical solution modules, and provide technical direction to other software developers. This may take the form of architecture/design direction, and in some cases solving critical technical problems with innovative solutions.
- Engage in root cause analysis of complex issues to identify the source of defects, and resolve said defects (problem-solving)
- Collaborate with other developers to deliver complex projects including integration with 3rd party tools such as CRMs (e.g. Salesforce), Electronic Health Records (EHR), customized assessments/screener, and reporting systems.
- Participate in design discussions and help others through code reviews and knowledge sharing
- Track and communicate status on work
- Produce clear technical documentation as needed in support of complex technical concepts
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
- At least 3 years of experience as a software developer, maintaining products for real users
- Experience with Rails and Angular/React, or similar web frameworks
- Experience in integration with 3rd party tools using APIs
- Experience with or an interest in learning iOS/Swift and Android/Java/Kotlin development
- Experience identifying and addressing performance and scaling issues in web products
- Experience using Git
- Experience and an appreciation for writing tests
- Working knowledge of SQL, MongoDB, Solr, or similar
- Experience or an interest in managing servers directly (e.g. AWS EC2) and through SAAS vendors (e.g. Heroku)
- Experience or an interest in working with Docker/microservices.
** Education/Training Requirements:**
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent experience in a related field.
Alluma is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Alluma also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Alluma.
If you are interested, you can submit a brief cover email and resume.