What We Do: Alluma is a non-profit on a bold mission: to remove the barriers between people and the services and support that matter most. We are policy experts and technologists, determined leaders and compassionate innovators, united by our desire to do whatever it takes to solve complex problems in access to health and social services. We create technology solutions that put people first. We have recently joined forces with One Degree to create equitable, accessible public benefits and social safety net systems that take advantage of all that technology has to offer. This role operates within One Degree which is a modern tech-driven solution within Alluma that has helped more than half a million families and their supporters find, access, and share social services efficiently and with dignity in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Gainesville, FL and New York City.
** How We Work:** Alluma employees dig deep into how our community works and the challenges they face, so we can streamline complicated processes and design smart solutions that work better for everyone. At Alluma, every employee has a role in ensuring that nobody falls through the cracks. We put people and their unique needs at the center of what we do. Each individual we work with is different, and each community they identify with unique, so our technology must flex to each opportunity.
Alluma is fully committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We know through experience that people with wide-ranging ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds foster a stronger and more creative work environment. We encourage everyone to apply.
Position: We have a very efficient product development team and we get stuff done. As a Software Quality Engineer at Alluma, you will work on One Degree platform to build, maintain and test products that help tens of thousands of low-income families find the resources they need to overcome poverty. The position can be remote as long as your core hours match with the rest of the production development that works in the Pacific time zone.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop and improve products and features that directly help low-income and at-risk families.
- Test products for bugs and for quality.
- Create Test Documentation using Test Design techniques.
- Understand the flow of code and how it interacts with different components, write automation for a web-based platform, from scratch.
- Take ownership of all testing and document testing results.
- Support the Engineering team by fixing (writing code) technical debt items, automation, and enhancing current dev-ops under the general direction of lead engineer.
- You will be involved in all phases of software development life cycle: Analyzing business/system requirements or use stories, providing estimates, designing solutions, developing/coding new features or changes to existing features, unit testing, fixing bugs/defects, and providing second-level operational support as needed.
- Handle both software development and testing (manual and automation)
- Engage in root cause analysis of complex issues to identify source of defects, and resolve said defects (problem-solving)
- Coordinate with other engineers to accomplish projects and features
- Track and communicate status on work
- Produce clear technical documentation as needed in support of complex technical concepts
- Other duties as assigned
** Qualifications Requirements:**
- At least 3 years of experience as a Software Quality Engineer developing, testing and maintaining products for real users.
- Experience with Rails and AngularJS, or similar web frameworks.
- Experience with or an interest in learning iOS/Swift and Android/Java/Kotlin development.
- Experience with automation using Selenium/Appium/Rspec or similar frameworks.
- Experience using Git or other code management tools.
- Experience and an appreciation for writing tests.
- Experience with or an interest in SQL, MongoDB, Solr or similar.
- Experience with or an interest with Docker/microservices.
** Education/Training Requirements:**
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent experience in a related field.
Work Environment and Conditions: Physical requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required sit, stand, talk and hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is working in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Alluma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Alluma also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Alluma.