Sharon Knieper Hiring
·New York Cares ·
New York Cares is the city's leading volunteer management organization. Last year, we mobilized 65,000 individual volunteers and hundreds of companies, civic and youth groups to help improve the lives of over 500,000 struggling New Yorkers.
The Web Developer at New York Cares will be responsible for the development and technical maintenance of the New York Cares public facing website. The website is an integral part of our volunteer’s digital experience. You should have essential knowledge of software development and design, be a quick learner and enjoy refining their development skills.
Examples of potential upcoming projects include a Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 migration and implementing a re-envisioned user experience across multiple digital channels.
The position will report to the Director of Technology and will collaborate with other members of the four person technology team to meet all the technology needs of New York Cares.
Designing and implementing technical solutions in a Drupal/PHP environment, which is syncing to Salesforce.com, to aid in the continued growth and success of New York Cares. Including:
- Using both point-and-click configuration and efficient, testable custom code to meet functional requirements.
- Managing module updates, security updates, and upgrades.
- Refactoring code to improve performance and sustainability.
- Developing unit tests and functional tests.
- Religiously documenting both new and inherited code to let others understand the rationale behind choices.
Participating in Disaster Recovery and System Continuity planning, implementation, and testing.
Assisting with quality assurance testing prior to new feature rollout, bug fixes, or major launches.
Documenting key procedures and maintaining a record of all development change requests and completed changes.
Serving as first contact for staff technology support needs relating to web development and web infrastructure.
Maintaining and furthering technical knowledge by attending webinars, workshops, and reviewing professional publication. Open-source community contributions are encouraged and will be supported with some on-the-job time.
- 3+ years of experience developing PHP web applications including experience with custom Drupal 7/8 module and theme development.
- Proficiency with MySQL, Apache SOLR, Git, and integrating third-party services and APIs.
- Familiarity with CRMs.
- Familiarity with automated testing tools.
- Basic understanding of UX best practices and familiarity with user-centered design methods.
- Effective project management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to translate technical jargon.
- Ability to occasionally work after hours for planned down-time or emergency problem solving.
- Bonus: You’ve contributed to an open-source community in the past or have a background in volunteering.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.