North Carolina Unemployment Guide
Where to Apply for Unemployment Benefits
- Your Social Security Number.
- Details from your most recent employer about separation, vacation or severance pay you received, will receive, or are entitled to receive.
- Details regarding any retirement pay (gross monthly amount of pay along with proof).
- Your bank routing number and account number if you would like unemployment payments directly deposited into your bank account. If you do not select direct deposit, payment will be placed on a DES issued debit card.
- Your work history for the past two years (employer name as it appears on your check stub, employer's payroll and physical addresses, telephone number, employment dates, rate of pay and reason for separation from each employer).
- Your Alien number and expiration date from your Employment Authorization Document.
Former Federal Employees
- Your SF-50 form, SF-8 form, pay stub(s) or W-2 (if you worked in federal employment within the past two years).
- If this information is unavailable, you may provide it later. Please proceed in filing your claim.
Former Military Personnel
- Your DD214, Member 4 Copy.
- If your DD214 is unavailable, you may provide it later. Please proceed in filing your claim.